Friday, September 5, 2014

in the studio - a finish line of sorts

Trinity Repertory Theatre
Providence, RI

*


Done.

First preview was last night. My work on this show is completed.
 Overall -  I am pleased.
The costumes are my work, my vision. I bare myself and hope they do the production justice. "Costume Designer"..... my name in a program again after an entirely different lifetime of years. To once again be a part of a team of talented people all telling a story. 
My head spins at the serendipity.

Having been given this opportunity was like waking from a beautiful dream and realizing that dream was actually real.  The words, the process, the research,  and getting to know all the people that have made this possible has been a most enlightening experience.  I am so grateful. 

Being capable of ushering my vision of this show into reality is the result of a lifetime of learning.  In beginning of this project I made a deal with myself saying, "Okay, creative self, you take care of the quality and I will take care of the environment." I believe it has taken the wisdom of age to be able to do that - separating my two halves and allowing them to coexist. An artist really needs both of them to get along.....

These last few months were not without anxiety - self imposed pressures, angst, doubt, second guessing, and lots of sleeplessness. Not sure if that ever goes away - maybe its best to always have a bit of doubt just to keep the artist inside honest and continually striving. And I was surprised last week - at the end of tech and all seemed close to completion - to find I was experiencing a bit of postpartum depression! Ah... the birth was suddenly behind me and I was alone again. 
Definitely did not see that coming!

*

So off it goes. 
My work is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment