Sunday, January 10, 2016

in the POD - working at relaxing

Morning fog
South end of Pine Island


 It's not easy for me but I've been trying to relax. Really relax - to not do anything. Just look, ponder, imagine ..... open my self up to whatever takes hold, allow my mind to wander, discover.

It sounds kind of silly having to "work" at relaxing but I think it's important - especially for me! Sometimes I act like I'm relaxing  - gardening or reading - but each of these "relaxing" activities are actually done with their own specific outcome in mind. Each demands a conclusion, a finish. 
Something accomplished.
But what about doing nothing, ambling along with the chance of discovering something that you aren't looking for?
I believe that can only happen when you can put all external forces aside. Shut out the noise and, more importantly, shut off the pressure to accomplish something.
Let it go!

Anyway, I've been thinking about that ever since we began this month's sojourn. And, I have been trying to not fill my days with "things that I need to accomplish"! And - uggh - that is hard for me!

So it was comforting to find this article in the NY Times..... It seemed almost ..... serendipitous.


Galt Preserve
Pine Island, FL

*

"As people dredge the unknown, they are engaging in a highly creative act. What an inventor “finds” is always an expression of him- or herself." 


Yellow Crowned Night Heron
Pine Island, FL

The world around us is full of these strings - each potentially planting a seed - growing and waiting for us to explore. 
I need to be open to that.


*
View from Pine Island Sound
St James City, Pine Island

*



1 comment:

  1. I think the work "Cultivate" is key to facilitating doing nothing. We have friends who excel at this and have access to cultivation. Lemme know and i'll introduce you. :)

    ReplyDelete