Monday, March 18, 2024

Watching the horizon

 

Looking SW from La Conner, WA

*

Before we left on this 4 month road trip Tim said that he wanted it to be about vistas …. the expanses that we don’t see on a regular basis because where we now live is surrounded by tall pines. Sitting here in La Conner, WA overlooking Skagit Bay is the epitome of vistas. 

The sun rises to my left and across the bay, in the far distance, I can see the Cascade Range blanketed in snow. To my right the sun is setting and thru the glare I can see the snow capped tops of the Olympic Mountains on the peninsula. Bald eagles soar above along with ravens, seagulls, and the passing Canada Geese. Great Blue Herons populate the tidal pools. 

The tides themselves are extremely dramatic, changing places every 10 hours or so - with a high tide of over 11’ and a low around 1’ exposing rivers of ocean buried deep in the mucky floor. Today I watched the entire process from the deck and I must say, even though I did not close any of my exercise rings, it was a day very well spent.

*


Low tide in Skagit Bay

*










No comments:

Post a Comment