Tuesday, January 16, 2018

in the POD - there's always a first


final sunset

*


On our last day on St. George Island Tim got the flu…… 
He had been trying to fight it off - we even managed to get in another good long walk on the beach and then our usual bike ride to view the sunset from one of the beach pavilions. All was looking good - but by nightfall the flu just took over. And by morning he had a fever, chills, the whole thing.
This was a first. We had never been sick in the POD before.


calm before the storm

*

I arranged for us to stay another night at the campground althou we had to move to a different spot. Which, actually meant, that I had to unplug us, undo the water and empty the holding tanks. I had never done any of that before - not because I couldn’t/wouldn’t but because the division of labors on the POD had been worked out and was working well for us. But I did it. Yes, I am patting myself on the back because: 
1. I did it without doing something incorrectly. 
And, most importantly, 
2. Now I know I can do it - anytime I want!!!

I spent that extra day reading, wandering the park and the beach and basically just trying to leave Tim alone so that he could sleep and get better. I made him honey and lemon toddies, hot compresses, soup for dinner…….. He did not get better. By morning he was feverish again but we figured it best to move on. I unhooked our rig again and as the sun rose above the Gulf I began driving west while Tim slept in the back. Surely the quiet purr of the asphalt against the tires and the gentle rocking of the cab would allow him to rest easy and overtake this cold. 
NOT! 


By Mobile, AL he started to heave……. UGH! We had never thrown up in the POD before!!!!! 19’ of living space is tight under most circumstances and we have found a system to make it work for us while traveling - even for extended periods of time. However…….. being sick had yet been factored into that equation!! I know it was unpleasant for me - up there driving - BUT I’m guessing that it was super unpleasant for Tim vomiting in a pin hole toilet (or eventually a bucket) while barreling down the highway! 

8 hours later -  here we are. 
Just outside of Baton Rouge, LA in an America’s Best Value Inn. (I will refrain from musings on our inn's name.) It is 27 degrees and snowing. Yes, it is snowing. We bit the bullet and decided to forgo the POD for the night. Tim needed extra warmth, a hot tub, and sleep. I needed a beer and a separate bed to sleep in so that I, too, do not end up “hurling” down the highway.


And yet - All is good.

pines between the camp spot and the dunes

*


*

Even with the unseasonal cold temps, some rain, and the illness - It was still a wonderful week here. I never feel like we have to be doing something all the time - its okay just to allow each day to unfold, to see what may await us.

On that last (extra) day - as I walked the beach alone - I did finally see sea sponges scattered most everywhere! I had been bemoaning the fact that I had not seen any the last 2 years. They had not been there the day before - and yet, now here they were.


*




No comments:

Post a Comment