Wednesday, July 17, 2013

in the studio - experimenting with transfers


Contours
5" x 7"

*

The heat has made it almost unbearable to be in the garden so, in ernest, I finally got back to the studio to work on pieces that I had begun before the move. My organized self created a list of "TO DO's" - and I dutifully fell into line.
A few hours into it and I finished one map collage that had languished in a closet for at least 4 years. It was finally done .... and it was less than inspiring.  I really don't like it - so it is back in the closet where it belonged.

At that point I told my organized self to take a nap...... 
Then I put the To Do list away and allowed my time in the studio to flow organically.

I pulled out my notebook, looked through old sketches and the many ideas of things I had noted to try that had accumulated there and pulled out different kinds of maps I had been fascinated with. I began with experimenting with ink jet print transfers. Trial and error**,  impatience and not quite having the correct mediums not withstanding, I did successfully transfer a colorful contour map print on to a smooth clay board surface using Mod Podge as my transfer medium. The Mod Podge held on to a very thin layer of the printer paper making the colors look milky white so I had to carefully wet my finger and rub off the excess paper. I then added a thin layer of gloss acrylic gel medium to help enhance the color. Once dry I added a contour map of a female figure.
I am very satisfied with the look of the transfer and the possibilities that the technique holds.  I will be experimenting more with this.

**One of my trial/errors resulted in the non-transfer of an antique map print that tore apart - leaving me with absolutely beautiful, delicate and shiny ripped pieces of a skin pale map. I have saved all the pieces.

*



work in progress
20" x 20"

*

Also began a new piece using a navigational map of the Dry Tortugas. I have been looking at the face in this map for a long time! And, while perusing my notes I found the perfect "eye" in my sketch book that I had drawn from a Raphael painting while visiting the National Gallery in DC a few years ago. 
I want this piece to be about light and shadow - althou I am finding that it is very difficult for me to add black; I keep erasing it back to gray, should the whole left side of the piece be in shadow?; incompleteness - I want to be true to the map itself, so how much color or line is too much?; connections - does the baby distract? should the baby be closer to the adult?

Lots to work through - but, as long as I don't make a list I think I will get there!

1 comment:

  1. As always, I just love what you are doing and also being able to read about it. Lyrical. The "work in progress" is magnificent. I would not have thought about it but since you asked, I covered the baby with my hand and liked it better without the baby. Shine on...

    ReplyDelete