Monday, September 2, 2013

in the studio - facing a new season


untitled
12" x16"
inkjet photo transfer, pencil, and marker on paper

*

I have been experimenting with photo transfers on both paper and board lately - trying many different techniques; mod podge, gel medium, Purell, and none of them have been 100% successful - never being able to replicate the effect with each new piece of the collage. Maybe that is the "art"of it? That it is always 'just a little different'
I printed pale colored maps for the areas of light and I love the translucent quality that it gives to the skin. Ultimately, I need to be more careful with the map color choices for the medium tone and shadow areas ..... just learning on the job.
But I do think it is worth continuing the experiment - just have to find the right combination of subject, image to transfer.
Continue looking, continue exploring, continue learning.

*

It is now officially September - and from years of teaching - I guess it seems like the beginning of the year and the time to start fresh. I found an open figure drawing class at AS220 in Providence - meets every Tuesday evening....tomorrow. Planning to attend at least twice a month to get my eye/hand back in the groove and maybe possibly meet some artists/interesting people. 
Feels like the first day of school.

*



1 comment: