Monday, October 14, 2013

in the studio - photo collage


"Child as Man"
8 1/2" x 11"
digital photos on vellum, digital photo on map, mixed media collage on paper

*

Have been experimenting a lot with the printing of photos onto vellum and loving the ethereal quality of the image and being able to layer them to create depth. I decided to try a portrait collage done using only  images printed this way. It was an interesting challenge to select only photos that related in some way to the subject matter, but also photos that would help create the right values for the skin tones and shadows. I did have to adjust the color quality before printing many of them - trial and error. For the background I wanted a texture so I created a repeating image from part of a photo and printed it on a 2 color topographical map.
I feel there is a lot to explore with this technique and have begun 2 new pieces that I am slowly working my through.

*

2 comments:

  1. Incredible! Worth millions of words... thoughts...feelings... memories.
    love the structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. création de logo Alsace

    ReplyDelete