Thursday, October 30, 2014

in the studio - and so it begins



presenting sketches at our first rehearsal - "Barefoot in the Park"
Trinity Rep
Providence, RI

*


Seems crazy but I've really climbed on this bus again! 
And, once more, I'm thrilled with the ride.

Deep into the early 60's now and trying to make sense of the play's relevancy. "Barefoot in the Park" is like a little jewel box - kept in a private place, unchanged, naive. 
It is about expectations, communication, love in a box, and balancing it all.
Life.
It is interesting to me how Neil Simon creates character. He simply presents reality - everyday moments - and mixes it with a wink of sarcasm. Very Seinfeld like. He wants the audience to see their  own flaws, their own humanness. He truly has an American sensibility.

*

So, here I am designing my 2nd show in 4 months after a 24 year hiatus.......
and I was asked to design another in February.
Life.

*

The show opens Thanksgiving week. 
I have so much to be thankful for!

*


My inspiration for the show
a collage by Richard Hamilton




4 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze and inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the picture! Just as I remember....continue to be inspired by your mentorship so long ago...

    ReplyDelete