Thursday, April 30, 2015

in the POD - home


a peaceful "home" in stained glass

*

"what does "home" mean to you?" he asked

"quiet
peaceful
where one feels safe
warm
and..... family."
I said, pausing between each word, as I looked into the camera.
He was working on a public service film.


a warm "home" rich in color

*


Over time I think my idea about what home actually is (for me) has evolved. It is definitely not a single place or a single structure - surely I've moved around too much for that.
Maybe it does not even need walls.
Right now it is more of a feeling, a state of being.

I was very much "home" in the POD as we traveled these last few months. Falling into the natural rhythm of our lives we discovered how simple life can be, nothing extra..... no need for fluff!
The walls of scenery changed almost daily and yet we were always "home".
We were safe, warm and it was definitely peaceful ...... and, most importantly, we had each other.

*

Tyler and Amy are buying their first home today. They move in on Saturday.
I hope they see this as the first step in creating what "home" will be for them.
I want them to be happy
and safe .......
They have each other.



a sturdy, safe cabin 
that happens to live inside a loft in NYC

*

We finally arrived back in Providence on Monday afternoon. It was reassuring to walk into our home - familiar furniture, artwork, family photos.
Our life.
However, I did not get to visit much with my own home - I was only there for 36 hours.
I am now currently enjoying a long, leisurely morning in a downtown loft in NYC. Had to come in for a meeting yesterday and stayed keeping my friend's plants, artwork, and family photos company for the night while they are away.

It is kind of comforting to be surrounded by friends' possessions.
It's like visiting with them.... very quietly.

Interesting what we surround ourselves with.
What we need, what we think we need, and what we are willing to give up.

We did collect a few tokens along the way to decorate the POD - small branches of pine, a photograph of a river,  colorful and textured rocks, a sprig of bay leaves, pinecones, shells, a printed card - and we discarded/gave away some at stops along the way as well.
Ephemeral.
These things personalized our space.
I need a bit of that.
"home"

*


No comments:

Post a Comment