Wednesday, March 12, 2014

in the garden.....finally the smell of dirt!

My first winter sowing experiment
March, 2014
Providence, RI

*

Needless to say I am getting quite antsy to get back into the garden! Over the fall and winter I was reading a lot about winter sowing, a mini greenhouse germination process developed by Trudi Davidoff about 15 years ago. There are now many web sites about it and many devotees - especially in the colder zones where we have such a limited growing time.
Anyway I decided to try it out - some seeds, some soil, and a little help from mother nature ....
how difficult could it be?

I put out my first containers today. It has finally become reasonably temperate and I felt that I was safe to do so.  I have read that a lot of people begin their winter sowing in January and February and just let the seeds decide when to germinate. Not sure I am that desperate to get my hands in the dirt ...

My first containers are:
Zinnia - I had harvested seeds from last year so we'll see if that experiment was worthwhile
Greek Oregano 
Creeping Thyme
Garlic Chives
Dill

Over the next few weeks I will be adding:
Coleus
Black Cherry Tomatos 
Sweet Pepper Mix
Staro Chives
Winter Squash
Pumpkin ... (I miss my Columbus pumpkin patch!!)

*

And, yes, opening that bag of garden soil today and breathing in its pungent, rich smell was a slice of heaven for me. 





1 comment: