Thursday, March 6, 2014

in the studio - school assignments and a mental map

NY Public Library
February 2014
*has nothing to do with this post but it seemed appropriate

*

I am currently taking an online class called Live!: A History of Art for Artists, Animators and Gamers. It is through CALARTS and it seems like there are currently over 1,000 people from around the world in the class. At least that is how many people posted their first assignment last week. We are supposed to critique at least 3 assignments each week and I am finding it kind of daunting to choose one out of so many. I can get lost for so long just looking though them! One person began a thread called "Show your Art" and the community of people that posted what they are personally doing is amazing.... both in the sharing, and in the support that everyone is giving each other. So wonderful to see. For me it is both humbling and inspiring to see so many peoples' work - so diverse and so uniquely their own. Seeing so many artists actually made me feel more comfortable in saying; "I am an artist". 
Beautiful.

This week's assignment was a tough one. We were asked to create a mental map - selecting 10 images, books, films, or music that provided a historical context for our interests in art as a whole or in our current art work. We were to select works that are important to the way we think. Then we needed to organize them in a sequence that made sense to us. 

How to tell my story in 10 sequential images…. visual storytelling. I wasn't sure where to begin. And  then would these works create a linear sequence or would they overlap or would they create a loop? Is it one giant history painting or is it a more like a Chinese hand scroll?

Two sleepless nights, lots of doodles and stream of conscious writing, as well as falling down the hole that is the internet...... 
But I really thought this would be a good exercise for me accomplish so I plowed on.

It is not perfect as I am sure I have forgotten some things and left out some others and I am equally sure that the endgame is quite fungible. But here it is:



*

No comments:

Post a Comment