Friday, March 28, 2014

within the familiar - waiting


Beach off of Shore Rd.
Dennis, MA

*

We were way overdue for a few days on the Cape. Walking on beaches, both new and familiar, is always good for my soul and well being.  My art class assignment this past week was about time and motion - how do artists explore and represent time? how do we evoke "sensation" in fixed images?
The dictionary says that time is the "indefinite continued progress of existence......past, present, and future regarded as a whole".
For me  - the ocean is time.
The beach laid out in front of me is time.

Is that because I see them as a symbol of time? Like a clock or a fossil?
Or is it because I watch their movement - waves, tides, wind blown sand - which evokes the passage of time?
Or am I creating for myself a visual narrative and thus telling a story? Hence, time.
Or is it all three? 
And that's what makes the experience so powerful for me?

*




No comments:

Post a Comment