Tuesday, August 6, 2013

in the studio - an august rhythm


“Amsterdam by air and on foot”
mixed media collage on paper
4 1/2” x 6 1/2”

*




“In a corner magnetic north”
mixed media collage on paper
6 1/2 ” x 6 1/2 ”

*

Two new pieces that I just completed in the last few days. I began them both within a day or so of each other - both very different in what I was trying to achieve and for the restrictions, or lack of, that I established in the process of their creation. 

As of late I have found that I enjoy having a number of different pieces going at the same time, each in a different stage of development. It gives me the opportunity to look at each piece with a different set of eyes and I can choose which to work on by what mood I am in, what I feel like tackling that day. I like that - it feels less constrained and allows me to be more open to serendipity.

 *

Beginning to find a rhythm to my days and weeks - I need that. I am spending a few hours every day in the studio - sometimes fully productive and sometimes not but all good and worthwhile time spent. Lots of exploring, trying, failing, and learning! Original ideas sometimes pan out exactly as planned and others take all together different routes and end up somewhere new and interesting. Maybe that’s why I love to work with maps as my base ..... each takes me on a journey. 








1 comment: