Monday, August 26, 2013

in the studio - patterns in a city unknown


"Patterns in a City Unknown"
mixed media collage on paper
4 1/2” x 6 1/2”

*

I have been working on a number of pieces about, in, and surrounded by city elements. This piece came together relatively quickly. I had been wanting to include 2 figures in a collage - connected, yet separate and they seemed to come together in this mash up of cities.

I have not been in the studio for the past 2 weeks - visitors and road trips filling up my days, yet the weeks have been filled with inspiration and some new and interesting material findings. While showing off my new neighborhood I discovered an old bookstore and found 2 amazingly beautiful and interestingly colored maps. Then while on the Cape I was directed to a few antique stores and there I found some great antique maps - Lisbon, Dublin, Germany - all of them with terrific colors - missing so much from more current maps. 
Newer maps tend to be practically mono-color..... is it the cost of the ink?

Come mid-week I'm really looking forward to working with some of the new map finds and getting the chance to re-look at some of the works in progress. Eyes rested it will seem like seeing them anew.
Time off can be good.

*


1 comment:

  1. I love what you see, Toni. Makes me see differently and appreciate.
    Shine on. xxxoo

    ReplyDelete