Tuesday, December 17, 2013

in the studio - looking forward


"No Noise"
7" x 5"
digital photo prints on vellum, pencil, mixed media collage on paper

*

I find that I keep returning to my photos for inspiration and use within collages. This last piece began with a series of photos from Reykjavik, Iceland. Iceland possesses a quiet stillness and is quite haunting - in a Hitchcock-ian kind of way. Like all collages this went through many permutations - having first laid it out one way I then found myself trapped and unable to resolve the focus of the piece and had to rethink the piece, adding new elements and changing placements. 
I am learning that the art of collage, for me, is best when I let creativity happen - not will it or force it - but sense the groove and, trance like, just let it flow. I do believe that it is very important to have that initial "picture" in your head - how you think the piece should be and how you think you may get there. But, I need not be stubborn and try to hold on to that first vision too long. The art itself will tell me what it needs as long as I listen to it.
Ahhh... something new and different for a control freak like me!

*

When I was in NYC I finally met a wonderful artist, Ruth Gorton, whom I had previously only known through her work - by way of mutual friends. Tim and I had been given a pastel of hers, "Morning Bakers", last year. 
I have to thank her for being the creative impetus last February for me to get back to my art work. I had been told that she does a painting a day! 
That commitment, to complete something... whether in the "mood" or not, whether it ends up good, bad, whatever.... that blew me away. 
For myself I vowed to begin this journey and to work at my art everyday.

I also have to thank Ruth for the time spent with her as she looked at my artwork. She asked me questions - some which I still do not know the answer to but I am searching for - and overall her words were most encouraging to me.

*

I did finish the shredded paper female figure.



"Woman Wearing a Slip"
13" x 9"
shredded magazine pages on presentation board

*

No comments:

Post a Comment