Friday, December 20, 2013

in the studio - tulip fields


"Tulip Fields"
7"x7"
shredded magazine pages on paper and ink collage

*

I wanted to challenge myself and use shredded paper for a more abstract piece. Sticking with the overall topographic map idea I decided to create a bird's eye view of the land. My intent was that from a distance, the viewer would see farmland - spreading out in front of them. However, on close inspection they would see texture and pieces of images that they could recognize. 
Finding these textures and colors that would translate when shredded proved more difficult than I had anticipated but overall I learned a lot on the way to finally completing this piece - which took a lot longer than I had thought it would. 
I first laid out the grid of farmland and had an initial sense of the balance of colors needed. I originally planned to use only "natural" images; trees, grass, flowers etc. But that soon proved itself to be very one dimensional and ..... boring. 
Some things just become uninteresting blobs after shredding. Who knew?!


*


1 comment: