Monday, January 2, 2017

in the POD - and in the studio with scraps


day 1 - playing with negative space

*

I've been feeling a bit at drift with my art work recently, starting new projects and then pushing them aside (or throwing them away) because I just wasn't feeling they were headed in any real direction. I needed a kickstart! I needed allow myself the opportunity to just explore without adding any of the pressure I was putting on it!
So, as I packed up for this road trip I packed a small bucket of glues, exacto knives, watercolors, pencils, art board and envelopes filled with old map pieces, magazine pages and cut outs, past printed photos and an odd variety of papers.
My goal is to use only these leftover scraps, give myself a 2 -3 hour limit and play!


day 2 -mixing  some old elements and some new 

*

For the last three days I have done just that and enjoyed every minute of it. The first day I stood in the shade overlooking the canal using our friend's fish counter as my work table.  Not a bad setting to get reaquainted with one's creative self.  

*

"Okay, creative self, you take care of the quality - I will take care of the environment"

I have that quote on a sticky note pinned to my desk at home. I believe it is from The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron - which I brought along with me as well  - because re-reading even bits of it when one is at a crossroad can be amazingly inspiring.


day 3 - the start of today's piece

*


Claudia and I have been walking 5 miles every morning and that has been so good both physically and mentally. Talking, walking, looking, thinking - imagining. Walking is one of the things I miss this time of year up north as there never seems to be enough hours of light and - oh yeah - it's really cold! SO I best get my fill while here.


Feeding a soul takes a lot of work. Can't live on BBQ alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment