Thursday, January 26, 2017

in the studio - finding the fun again


Claudia
Kim
While traveling over the last month I aimed to find the "fun" again in my collage work. 

For the first week I did a collage a day. I called them "scrap people"..... each one a person that I had either met or came in contact with during that week. I wanted them to be a quick, emotional response to who that individual was.
Some were more successful than others- but I had fun and that was the exercise!

*

The following week I focused on using maps again. Over the last 6 months I had gotten away from using them as an integral part of my collage process and I felt that I needed to find a way to reconnect with them in a new and meaningful way. 
I did not push myself to complete anything - just see where an idea might take me - and I was able to lay down the beginnings of 3 pieces that I felt positive about. 

Since returning home and I'm back in the studio every day, I've been able to finish 2 of those pieces and finish a 3rd piece that had been languishing on my table for awhile. 

Sometimes just stepping away and hitting the refresh button is the perfect antidote!


somewhere between the waves
10"x 8" 
mixed media collage on board - photo transfer, photo printed tissue paper, pencil, paint

*

unknown
6"x 61/2"
mixed media collage on paper - antique maps, magazine paper, pencil

*

Barn Study # 6: Somewhere in America
7"x 5" 
photo transfer, paint, pencil on canvas panel

*


I also began to order the frames for my upcoming art exhibit which is now "officially" posted online!  
It's real! Nervous, excited, and nervous.

Cotuit Center for the Arts
4404 Falmouth Rd. Cotuit, MA
May 20 - June 18, 2017

*

No comments:

Post a Comment