Tuesday, March 26, 2013

in the studio - Collage A Day?


Mother's Hands 
4 1/2" x 4 1/2"
digital images, ink, and colored pencil on card stock

*

Enough with just thinking about all the possibilities, enough with looking for new inspiration!! Today I decided to jump in and make one collage by day's end. It had to be small, use some kind of map image, use photos that I already had, and be completed within 5 hrs. All seemed doable. 

I actually began with 2 separate ideas/concepts:
The first was to print one of my color photos on a map. In order to do this I copied a section of a map on card stock and then ran it thru the printer again to overlay a beach scene photo.  It worked out beautifully as both images were clear and interesting. However, on its own it was a bit flat.

The second idea I had was to work with a black and white close up image of my mother's hands and use it as a base for layering. I basically did the same thing as before, but first printed out a very muted black and white line street map and then reprinted it with the hand photo so all you saw was the veiny look of the streets on her hands surrounded by blackness. It was quite haunting as a photo - but there was no where to go with adding more collage - it was all just about the hands.

So - I returned to all the images I have of my mother that I took in the last few weeks before she passed away and selected one of her drinking from a bowl of soup. From there it just came together. Going back through all my photo files I eventually found the images she needed - flowers and green hostas, a world of sky above and the stability of bricks at her side. Searching, printing, cutting, experimenting, re-thinking - yet it was never frustrating. The entire process was all quite meditative.

I'd like to imagine I could do one collage a day - just to focus myself and try all the ideas swimming in my head. No plan, just experimentation. But, based on current work load, new house etc ....
I'm going to commit to 4 per week. 
We'll see how it goes.
I'm so happy that I jumped in today and even more happy that my mother was able to make this leap of faith by my side. 
Thank's Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic. What struck me is that I had no idea how old your mother might be... until I read your description of the timeline. The flowers and the colors behind her draw one away from dating the person. Then I focused on her hands... still ??? a woman in a garden? I loved that my eyes couldn't do any math. Just see. I like that. Janet

    ReplyDelete