Tuesday, March 19, 2013

in the studio - maps, paper and identity


Exploring new worlds

*

I have always been fascinated by maps - they open our imagination up to adventure, tell us stories, give us a sense of place, identify us, and help us find our way. In the past I have used maps to define the human body while exploring both personal and collective memory. But maps can tell us so much more about the human condition - territory, politics, ecology. Our place in the world can define us, pigeon-hole us, limit us, but it can also set us free.
My other fascination has always been clothing - how it tells a story about us, defines us. It is also inherently tied to politics, social status, and the economics of the world around us.
So.... lately I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to wrap these together!

In seeking inspiration and researching these ideas, I have found myself more and more fascinated by all things paper. I want to explore its delicate strength - cutting, folding, shredding, layering, the possibility of sculpting. No boundaries.

Not sure where is will all lead but I am looking forward to having the time and space to explore this new world.

*

Some fascinating and inspiring art / paper work that I am LOVING -
 "The Me Bird"
Using what is called the strata stencil technique - this is a stop motion film created by the Brazilian design studio, 18bis
Laurie Frick
Engineer, techno-geek, artist.....amazing
Claire Brewster
A London based artist. Her blog is always interesting and her map cut-outs are beautiful


No comments:

Post a Comment