Tuesday, March 19, 2013

on the street - Broadway


Broadway just above 34th St.

*

I love that New York City closed parts of Bway a few years ago to create a delightful ribbon of cafe tables and chairs. In good weather the communal areas are filled with people - eating, enjoying, resting, talking........
I really love that this was initially done in order to improve the flow of traffic midtown! Seems that the errant diagonal path that IS Bway tended to disrupt traffic where it intersected all the other streets. Ah - creative thinking solved a traffic problem, connected people to each other and the city outside their office doors AND added to the joy that is NYC.

I took this picture around 9:30 am. It was cold and the street was quiet. But I was inspired by the balance of color that I saw - chairs, tables, paint splatters on the cement, the pigeons. I wanted the furniture to be a bit unstable - fleeting, empty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment